Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A taste of summer . . .


Hands down Kahlua Pork is my favorite meal. It is so easy to make and always tastes so good to me. I'm afraid I don't make this as often as I would like because of the heafty price I have to pay on the treadmill afterward but I don't think I could ever get tired of it. A friend from Hawaii taught me how to make this when we lived at Ft. Hood the first time. The recipe is super easy.

Kalua Pork
1 Pork Roast
1-2 Cups Soy Sauce
2-3 Teaspoons Liquid Smoke
Put it all in a crock pot and let it cook while you're at church. Although the flavor cooks throughout, I turn it over about 15 minutes before I serve it for even color. Serve with rice and a big bright fruit salad. If there isn’t any good tropical fruit in season (or reasonably priced) it also tastes great with cinnamon apples (which I made Sunday).

Cinnamon Apples
2 Large Apples Cubed
1/2 Cup Red Hots
1 Cup Water
Let simmer on the stove top until apples are tender. I love the sweetness with the salty pork. The red hots turn the apples bright red; it looks so pretty and it makes me happy on the plate next to the white rice and the meat.

Try it! You'll love it!

No comments: