Monday, January 24, 2011

My six (or maybe seven) words.


I find the idea of six word stories captivating. Whenever I am reminded of them the wheels in my mind starts spinning. What stories could I tell? Is there one story that defines me? How do I say what I want to say? I try and try to come up with the words but I can't ever seem to do it in just six. Not a lot of brevity in this girl.

I am currently reading The Strangeness of Beauty by Lydia Minatoya. I'm about halfway through and I've really enjoyed it so far. But there was a sentence a couple chapters back that I just can't get out of my head. Even though they are Ms. Minatoya's words, I think I found my six word story!

"In my breast, curiosity battled with trepidation."

It's perfect except, I know. I know. It's seven words but I think the sentence is just as good without the "with". What do you think? I think it sums up my thoughts and feelings for a good part of my life. My desire to do what's right, to create, to be happy is in constant competition with my fear of failure and wasted resources and energy. My favorite word in that sentence is battled.

So now I have to ask myself, does this have to continue to be my story? What if instead, it was something like:

Curiosity overcame trepidation at every turn.

I think I like that better and it's only six words!

2 comments:

Mindi said...

just wanted you to know that i was so overwhelmed reading your post about joshua--thank you for writing. i would love to read more if and/or when you are ready.

i love you, rachel!

robin k said...

I love you, too, Rachel. And felt overwhelmed like Mindi.