- The Phoenix area was inhabited anciently by a large people who built a sophisticated aqueduct system and pueblos but then vanished without any sign of where or why they left.
- Phoenix was founded by this guy in the 1850's. His name was Jack Swilling. He and a hired team built 135 miles of canals to irrigate the valley.
- The name Phoenix was proposed because the planned city would grow from the ruins of a former civilization.
- This is what the Phoenix looked like in 1885. In 1874 the town was broken up into lots and put up for sale. The entire town was worth $500.00
- As of last November, Phoenix ranked 7th in the nation for percentages of foreclosures. Sad.
- From where we want to live, here are the stats (according to Google Maps).
To San Diego = 320 miles / 5 hours and 18 mins travel time (we hear this road is pretty cop free until we get to California, so we may be able to shave a little time off this one.)
To the Target Distribution Center = 31 miles / 40 mins (45 in traffic)
To St. George = 406 miles (7 hours 27 mins)
To Robin = 619 miles (11 hours)
To the Billings = 152miles (2hours 40 minutes)
- Phoenix takes up a larger geographical area than Lost Angeles. I'm not sure why that is important but that was noted on almost every site I looked at.
- There is a great hunting dog training school for Betsy.
- The University of Arizona will play Utah every year.
- All the old people look really happy and carefree, at least they are in all the pictures I see.
- The thing that really made the decision for us, and that we are happiest about is that we will be so much closer to family; in fact we will be less than an hour away from Ronni and Becky. I feel like our kids have been kinda gypped not living near cousins so this will be a fun change for them.