Thursday, December 3, 2009

24 Days of Christmas ~Revisited

So just for the record, I am very thankful for many many things. My life just couldn't be a lot more peaceful and happy and satisfying than it is right now. I am just sorry that I only managed to record 3 of those things before I was inundated with lots and lots of little fires to put out. I felt like there was hardly time for me to catch my breath in November, let alone sit down and write anything. Sorry.
Moving on . . .

Well, it's December. Last Saturday morning, the girls wanted to watch a movie while the house was still quiet and they had control of the television. Sara started scrolling down the list of movies I had recorded for them and then asked happily, "Why did you record so many little kid movies?" I answered, "Because I have so many little kids." They picked a movie and then as she snuggled up to watch, she sighed a little and said, "It's nice feel like a little kid sometimes."



Well that just broke my heart, but I think I needed to hear it because sometimes I forget how young our youngest are. I expect them to enjoy and be interested in the same things the older kids are.


Our family is spread out and it is hard to find things for us to do where everyone is engaged and enjoying themselves. It's why I love going to the beach so much. But many times someone is bored and being dragged along and I am afraid more often than not, it is the younger ones who are being dragged.

I was thinking about this as I was planning our December. Last year we did this. It was a good thing and I am glad we did it but as I stated earlier, it was really geared toward the older children. This year I made an advent calendar for my kiddos, partly guided by this.



It turned out so cute!

Every box has an activity for us to do. December 1st we finished decorating the tree and then went to Dairy Queen for a candy cane Blizzard. Last night we painted snowflakes on our windows because of this post by Becky.

Some of the things are simple and include things that were already planned, like the branch
Christmas party, other things take a little planning or a little cash. I tried to keep all activities under $20.

Tonight? . . . well, I can't tell you until the box has been opened but it is a big one.

1 comment:

Mom in Mendon said...

What a good mom. Happy December to all of you.