Wednesday, November 26, 2008

24 days of Christmas!

I am so excited for Christmas this year!


The last few years, Christmas has been more of a burden for me, than the celebration I always want it to be. Everything was just too much. Money, decorations, food, activities, last minute requests, it was all just too much.

The last two years we've tried to pare down the "stuff" and bump up the substance and our attempts have only been semi-successful. Simplifying just isn't as easy as it sounds, especially when Santa still needs to make an appearance and because I love all the shopping and decorations and food and lights and activities.

Two years ago we tried a super simple Christmas and put money and effort into a really great trip, but Christmas morning was disappointing and unsatisfying for everyone.

Last year we had more of a Christmas morning but not the best trip and hauling Christmas morning to Galveston was WAY too much work. We just haven't quite hit the right note.


This year though, I think we may have done it.

Last year Paul's wonderful mother suggested that we find some service to do everyday in December. It was such a good idea but by the time I was given the thought, I already had too much going on and couldn't fit anything else on my list.


I kept the idea in my head all year and it finally took shape about a month ago. For me, I need to plan ahead a little or for one reason or another, I seem to miss the opportunities that come along. Just the planning, though, has me in a Christmas mood. Looking for places we can serve, finding activities that will be fun for the kids and to invite people to, planning parties, discussing and planning with the kids, it has been so much fun!

Now I have a December calendar full of concerts and parties and Family Home Evenings and fun and yummy creations to share with our neighbors. It's gonna be so great!!

One of the nice things that has come of this so far, is that I am SO ready for Christmas. I even broke out the Christmas music a week early, breaking a cardinal rule at our house. Another nice thing that has happened is that I am more organized for Christmas, all around.


I will report back after Christmas because I am sure you are all on the edge of your seats to see how this works out.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I am definitely on the edge of my seat! Sounds great.

Meanwhile, Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Rachel. Hugs and kisses to everyone.

Shannon said...

How do you do it??? Seriously?? I am excited to hear how it goes.

Enjoy your Thanksgiving holiday!