Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Surf's Up!

Did you know that winter is best time to surf? Well it is. Although the water is cold the surf is bigger and more consistent than in the summer. This is especially true for the Gulf of Mexico. During the summer, on the Texas coast, the Gulf looks like a giant lake. There are hardly any waves and surfing is just impossible. The exception to this rule is when a hurricane is churning everything up. We haven't been surfing since spring break. But we are always looking at surf cams and at the surf forecasts. Hoping for a good forecast, otherwise the five hour drive just isn't worth it.


Enter Hurricane Dean.

The surfing forecast was something like this:
Tuesday AM 2-3 feet
Tuesday PM 2-4 feet
Wednesday AM 4-8 feet
Wednesday PM 9-17 feet

We left Tuesday morning to be in Galveston that afternoon. It was so much fun!! Paul , Robin and Pauly all have their own surfboards.

Dan and Sara have boogie boards, and I have a great chair and a good book.

I went out and tried to surf for the first time and got slammed in the face with the end of Robins surf board. I have a loose tooth and very ugly lip. I'll spare you a photo.

Other than my face this was a great trip. School starts on Monday. This was the perfect way to end our very busy summer.

6 comments:

Megan said...

That sounds like so much fun. I wish we could have joined you, I like to sit in a chair and watch too.
And what a great way to end the summer.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful! So glad you all had fun.
Love, Grandma

Erin said...

I LOVE that you are a surfing family. How cool are you?

Anonymous said...

Ouch, but fun.

Liz Stanley said...

man, getting your face messed up RIGHT before school starts would be pretty traumatizing. luckily you aren't 15 anymore though...

R-Eight said...

Megan, we need to plan a trip to the beach.

Grandma, we love you.

Erin, we are VERY cool, Paul has said more than once, "The only way to make a minivan cool is to strap 3 surfboards on top."

Robin, believe it or not, I can't wait to get out there again.

Liz, I am very glad I am not 15 anymore, although I wouldn't mind having my flat little tummy back.