Sunday, March 13, 2011

Helpless

Thursday night while we slept here in Texas, there was a terrible 8.9 earthquake in Japan followed by a powerful and destructive tsunami.

Because of the ease of communication, we are getting information as well as seeing pictures and video immediately. It is an awful feeling to see people suffering in such detail, with no way to help. We texted to send $10 to the Red Cross. We will give money to other organizations but it seems gross to go about our lives as if nothing has changed when I know there are real emergent needs to be met.

I've been thinking about my sister Sara who just qualified to be a paramedic as a part of her Master's program. I can see her organizing and getting people fed quickly and efficiently. I have been thinking of Paul's brother Robert who is a flight paramedic. I wonder if he wishes he could be over there helping. I have been thinking about my brother Jared Ralph who served his mission is some of the hardest hit areas. I know he is thinking about friends he has there. I want to call him to translate when there is a word or something happening that I don't understand.

Gabrielle said she felt helpless as she watched everything in real time. As I sit here on Sunday morning writing this, I can't think of a better word.

1 comment:

Mom in Mendon said...

I know what you mean about going about our lives. What else can we do--but pray?