Friday, January 28, 2011

5 Things That I Will Miss About Living In This House

We have lived in this house for 3 years and 8 months. It is the first house we've ever owned. We have loved it. If all goes as planned, we will be moving in the middle of March. Although there are many things we love about this house, here are five things I think I will miss the most.

1. The almost perfect kitchen
  • The cobalt blue tile counter that makes me happy every morning when I turn on the light.
  • The double oven that I have used 90% of the days we have lived in this house (I am so glad Paul talked me into it.)
  • The glass blocks along the outside wall that lets in diffused light.
  • Lots and lots of cupboard space.
  • The stainless steel sink, shiny and sanitized when it's cleaned.
  • Room for 3 grown women to fix Thanksgiving dinner without getting in each other's way.
  • Long bar, just right for hosting lunch group, an open house or a party.

2. The fireplace that heats the entire house.
The fireplace is called a heatilator. When the fire reaches a certain temperature the fan kicks on and blows air through the entire house. One winter we didn't use the central air even once. There is something primitive and rustic about only using fire to warm the house. I loved the experience of the house feeling cold and unwelcoming. Then the feeling as the crackling fire gradually warmed the house until it was toasty and inviting. I loved that winter.

3. The chicken run full of chickens.
I love movement of the chickens. I love sending food scraps out to them, nothing ever goes to waste. I love gathering eggs, knowing they are safe and nutritious. I love watching the ever beautiful circle of life and being able to share that with my kids. I love the work it provided for my kids too. I wonder if we will be able to have chickens again.

4. The ivy growing prolifically along our back wall.
When we moved in there was some ivy growing up the back of the house. We let it grow until it covered the majority of the back side of the house. Every winter I wonder if it is wise but every summer it is gorgeous and hangs so thickly along the eve of the back porch that I feel like I am looking out of a cave overhung with jungle growth. I have really loved it. I'm mad at myself that I never got a picture of that.

5. All the extra storage.
We've never been in a house with this much extra storage. It has been wonderful to have place for everything. I will miss that a lot. Paul is already mourning the loss of the huge storage building that holds our exersize equipment, our yard and gardening machinery, and all of Paul's tools as well as his hunting and fishing equipment. We are both trying to figure out where all of that stuff is going to go.

We're gong to miss this house but we are ready for a new adventure.

2 comments:

robin k said...

Sounds like a wonderful home!

Mom in Mendon said...

I predict the next place will have a pool, which you'll adapt to very quickly. : )