Friday, March 14, 2008

Our resident food expert . . .

So about 10 or 11 years ago the gorgeous and talented and super smart Erin Kelly married my brother Joshua. Not long afterward I was talking to Sara and was shocked to hear that Erin was NOT impressed with our traditional St. Patrick's Day dinner, which I am sorry to tell you, consisted of . . . well . . . any meal bathed in green food coloring. (Man I thought that was so clever!) . . . And did I mention Erin's maiden name is Kelly?

Within days of hearing this news I talked to Erin myself, I think to try and explain the virtues of the green food coloring . . . hmmmm . . . I swear I could see the disgusted look on her face, over the phone. (If you read her blog at all you'll understand why.) A few hours after that phone call I received an email with actual St. Patrick's Day dinner recipes.

I have to admit I was skeptical but I tried the recipes she sent. I mean how could anything be better that lots and lots of food coloring?? Now, I LOVE making an authentic and yummy Irish meal on St. Patrick's Day. It is a simple meal of corned beef and cabbage and Irish soda bread and I also make chocolate mint brownies. (Please don't tell Erin I still put green food coloring in the frosting.)



I'm only posting this today because you still have time to go to her site and look under Holiday Cooking and make your own awesome St. Patrick's Day dinner. You'll be so glad you did.

Thanks Erin, for saving my family from my sweet St. Patrick's Day tradition!

4 comments:

Erin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mindi said...

i like to see the ingredients that erin uses in her recipies that i didn't know even existed. the woman rocks it out in the kitchen

Erin said...

aw, you're sweet. i love that you make this meal, it's such a fun tradition! although i don't think it's totally authentic, we include fresh limes to drink and something with green frosting for dessert. i really do think green food coloring is so clever!

Liz Stanley said...

ha ha awesome story. the only thing better than lots of food coloring is erin's cooking. on valentines day last year i put food coloring in the water in the fridge. it turned more orange than red or pink and jared was all mad because he thought it was apple juice instead of water. he was not impressed to say the least