Tuesday, October 16, 2007

The stars and night, really are big and bright

Growing up, I never thought I'd ever live in Texas, but here we are. I like it here mostly. Here are a few of the reasons I like Texas and a few ways it could improve itself.

Why I like Texas:

The wildflowers, in the spring, are breathtaking.

Texans have the grace and manners that the Deep South claims to have, without the condescending attitude or the creepiness of the Deep South.

People go to church and really try to live their beliefs.

I like the small towns and how close knit the people are. I love that on game days everyone wears a t-shirt supporting the high school football team.

I like that there are 4 temples here in Texas. We are only 1 and 1/2 hours from the Dallas Temple. That is closest we've been to a temple since we left Salt Lake City.

I think it is funny that people call me "sugar" "darlin'" and "baby".

Ways that Texas could improve itself:

Some residents are a little too proud of Texas. This cracks us up.

At school the kids say the Pledge of Allegiance to the American flag and then to the Texas flag. I like Texas but pledge allegiance to Texas??

There is an appalling lack of mountains in Texas. I think they should really consider getting a few.

102 degrees in August, accompanied by 90% humidity, followed immediately by $350 electric bills.

Overall, the pros far outweigh the cons though and we are happy to call Texas our home. We may even get ourselves a bumper sticker so that everyone will know.

7 comments:

Liz Stanley said...

i like being called 'sugar' or 'darlin', as long as it's not from a creepy guy or said in a belittling way

Mom in Mendon said...

Cute picture with the wild flowers.

R-Eight said...

Liz~ I agree with you on the creepy guys, also if I think a lady is full of it and she keeps calling me 'sweetie' . . . I hate that.

Erin said...

love the picture. i'm guessing that's robin, paul and josh? don't leave texas before we get down there to visit.

R-Eight said...

Come for Christmas you yankee wussies! Isn't there a cool film fest in Austin? Josh has mentioned it once or twice.

Yes that is Joshua.

jordan said...

Robin has big Texas hair in this picture.

R-Eight said...

Jo~ I don't know how it happens but hair just naturally puffs up when you cross the border.