Friday, July 13, 2007

Starting with an update


So here we are in Lindale, Texas. We are really enjoying the slower pace of things here. Everyone we have worked with has been so kind and friendly, we already feel a part of the community. We feel really blessed to be here.




Paul is working at Target and he really likes it. He likes the environment, the people, the lack of deployments. He is working with the Young Men in the branch and really likes getting to be with Robin and Paul at church. His latest project is chickens. He built a coop and a run and we have 27 chickens out there. The 10 or so hens will start laying around Thanksgiving the others will be dinner in about 5 or 6 weeks. I agreed to this only under the condition that I wouldn't be gutting or plucking ANYTHING.

Robin has her first job! It is a little family owned pizza place, called Doc's, just a mile or so away. It is just right for a first job. She loves it. This summer Robin is working on some hard piano pieces and trying to teach herself guitar. She and Paul are working on the duet from "Corpse Bride", I love that. She is reading a ton as well as trying to get her Personal Progress knocked out. She is Laurel President at church.
Pauly is spending his mornings in strength and conditioning camp at his new high school. The time for his 40 yard dash at the beginning of camp was 4.94 seconds. And he has been getting a lot of attention from the coaches. That's fun. He comes home drenched in sweat and exhausted but happy. They start "2 a day" football practice in a couple of weeks. I think he goes back and forth between excitement of the football season staring and the dread to "two a days". Dan is happy because he will stop being pummeled by Paul's and all his 15 year old energy. When he is not thinking about football or beating up on Dan, he is helping around here or hustleing for lawn mowing jobs. He is also playing more video games than I like and reading more than I expected. He is the Teacher's Quorum President at church.




Dan hit the jackpot with this move. There is a 10 year old boy across the street (dying for friend) with a swimming pool, diving board and all, as well as a regulation baseball field in the back yard. They spend their days exploring and swimming and playing. Frankly, I'm a little jealous, I want a friend with a diving board.

Sara and Gloria spend most of their days alternately fighting or playing sweetly together. This summer they are working on their reading. I think watching my kids learn to read is my favorite part of motherhood. I know if they can read they can do anything else they want to do. The world opens up to them in a way that is nothing like anything they will ever learn. I LOVE IT!




As for me, all the kids will all be in school this fall, can you believe that?? I remember when I couldn't see an end to diapers and Mr. Brown Can MOO. So now I am wondering what to do with the few uninterrupted hours I am going to have everyday. I have several things in the works but I am most excited about getting our garden tilled and ready to plant. I get to have a huge one and because of the weather in East Texas, fall and winter gardens are tremendous. (This is a picture of what I will look like when things are finally growing.) I am so excited for the reunion in San Fransisco this weekend, It will be fun to see those who will be there. I have a suitcase full of baby gifts and a ride to D/FW.

5 comments:

Erin said...

Glad you have a blog. Love the updates, love the pictures. Lindale looks like it suits you. Have a great time in San Fran.

jordan said...

Awesome.

Gabrielle of Design Mom said...

Great update. Hooray for blogs! Hooray for the Rodgers!

Mom in Mendon said...

Good!! It will be great to hear from any and all of you.

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Rachel. Great pictures. You guys are great. See you Friday night, I hope.